Export Development Program
Grow your exports. Grow your business.
The Export Development Program is open. We are currently accepting applications.
The Export Development Program (EDP) is for Nova Scotia businesses looking to:
- increase sales outside Nova Scotia;
- improve competitiveness; and
- positively impact the Nova Scotia economy.
EDP provides financial incentives for projects financial incentives to offset the cost of projects that assist a business’ ability to overcome barriers to export growth.
EDP offers two streams to support your business growth:
Stream 1: Travel and Trade Missions (In-Person and Virtual)
- Travel to a market outside Nova Scotia to attend a trade show, conference, or to visit new and existing clients, potential partners, or investors
- Participate in an in-person or virtual trade show, mission, or conference
- Have foreign clients, potential partners or investors visit the business’ Nova Scotia facilities for the first time*
* International travel permitted; the company will follow and adhere to all health protocols in all jurisdictions where the company is travelling. The company is responsible for all quarantine costs. International travel should adhere to the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories by Destination.
Stream 2: Hire a Consultant or Service Provider
- Get expert help to address the challenges or barriers to selling your products/services outside of Nova Scotia and access services to improve competitiveness from market research to technology implementation or development.
All eligible businesses can apply for up to a maximum of $15,000 CAD across the two streams. For minimum project requirements and a full list of eligible costs, please refer to the Program Guidelines.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Nova Scotia registered business in good standing (current registration on the Registry of Joint Stock Companies).
- Have a permanent establishment in Nova Scotia.
- Have most of its workforce currently residing in Nova Scotia (some exceptions may apply where it can be demonstrated that the economic benefit can be accrued to Nova Scotia). Contact the Regional Business Development Advisor in your area to discuss.
- Be engaged in, or have imminent plans to engage in, commercial activities outside of Nova Scotia, with fully developed exportable product(s), service(s), technology(ies), and/or intellectual property to the satisfaction of Invest Nova Scotia.
- Have a business plan and a strategy to sell products/services outside Nova Scotia outlining the business’ target market and distribution channels and challenges in the target market and how they will be overcome.
- Have no outstanding or pending claims/litigation, injunctions, judgments, orders, legal or administrative actions, or similar proceedings against the business, its principals and/or any related business(es) (some exceptions may apply, contact the Regional Business Development Advisor in your area to discuss).
- The business, principals and/or any related business(es) shall not be in default of any obligations under any other form of financial assistance and/or incentive program from Invest Nova Scotia, the Province of Nova Scotia, or by any agency of the Province of Nova Scotia. For purposes of this criteria, the Credit Union Small Business Loan Guarantee Program is considered a form of financial assistance provided by the Province of Nova Scotia.
- Businesses and their related entities may be limited to funding for one business only at Invest Nova Scotia’s sole discretion.
Before You Apply
Please read the following documents to ensure you have all the required information available to you when completing the online form:
The application intake period for EDP is from March 21, 2023, to January 12, 2024, at 5:00 PM AST, or until program funding is fully subscribed.
Applications will only be considered for projects completed between April 1, 2023, and March 31, 2024.
Two-Step Identity Verification
We use two-step verification for our online forms. Each time you apply or submit a claim, you will be asked to:
- Enter your Invest Nova Scotia Customer Number and your associated email address to receive a one-time code
- Enter the one-time code to verify your identity and gain access to the online form
IMPORTANT: If this is your first time applying to a program with Invest Nova Scotia or you don’t know your Customer Number, please contact your Regional Business Development Advisor to request this information.
There are two applications forms, one for each stream. Please select the application form as it applies to your funding request.
STREAM 1: Travel and Trade Missions
STREAM 2: Consultant or Service Provider
Submit a Claim
For projects completed by March 31, 2023.