Sympli Works On-Demand Courses & Webinars
Get the training and mentoring to grow your small business — when it works for you.
We get it. Trying to find time to access training and workshops is hard when you’re busy running a business.
There are many training opportunities out there that are extremely useful but they’re often scheduled at a specific time and may conflict with other commitments.
We’d like to help to with that.
Invest Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, in collaboration with Symplicity Designs, are offering free access to a series of on-demand courses and live webinars providing you with tools and resources to grow your small business
What is Sympli Works and how does it work?
Sympli Works is a membership platform that offers training and mentoring via a series of on-demand courses and live webinars. When you sign up for Sympli Works, you find resources that tackle common issues like scaling, sales, HR, and marketing — all available for you to learn on your own time.
Membership also includes full access to the Mighty Network, a platform for community collaboration with peers and other small business owners.
The On-Demand Courses are available by membership only and are approximately 8–10 hours per course. The topics include:
- Scaling Your Value: Building Your Why, Determining the Problem to be Solved, Understanding Value, Evaluating Your Market
- Marketing That Matters: Brand, Strategy, Plan and & Prepare, Execution
- Managing Sales with Purpose: It Starts with Strategy, Building the Operational Plan, Visibility on the Funnel
- The Boss's Guide to HR: The Business Need, Develop & Grow, Recruit & Onboard, Communication
To register for an On-Demand Course, applicants must contact Yuliya Demish and complete and submit an application form.
The Webinars are available on specific dates and offer an overview of the On-Demand Courses. Each Webinar is two hours. The first hour covers general questions about the On-Demand Course topic. The second hour is for members who are engaged in the On-Demand Course topic and have questions.
All Webinars are open to general public to participate. Topics include:
- Scaling Your Value Part 1: Building Your Why, Determining the Problem to be Solved
- Scaling Your Value Part 2: Understanding Value, Evaluating Your Market
- Scaling Your Value 3: Process Improvement
- Marketing That Matters
- Managing Sales with Purpose
- The Boss’s Guide to HR
Scaling Your Value*
Let us help you achieve your lofty business goals. Scaling Your Value refocuses on why you started your business in the first place and provide tactical tools for success.
Taking this high-level theory, we break it down into actionable pieces so you can start the growth process today. Those pieces, when put together, paint a picture of how to get through to the other side of your biggest problems today.
We then guide you through exercises you can follow and apply in your business and life today for incredible results.
Scaling Your Value provides:
- A clearly defined purpose to guide you as you navigate the ever-changing environment of business
- An understanding of the value of each of your products and services by the problem they solve in the market
- Visibility of where your focus should be to deliver excellence to your customers
- Characterization of your ideal (and not-so-ideal) customers
- A list of improvements to act on and innovations to consider as you continue to grow
To register for Scaling Your Value, email Yuliya Demish
Managing Sales with Purpose*
Have you ever set a goal for your revenue for the year and failed to know, month by month, whether you’re on track to hit that goal?
Is your margin at the end of the year just an outcome of whatever your accountant comes back to you with after sorting through your years’ worth of receipts?
Do you spend a lot of time “in sales” without understanding the benefit for every hour you put into it?
You aren’t alone — most small businesses operate this way, and it is a driving force for why they are unable to sustain themselves in the long run.
Managing Sales with Purpose provides:
- An understanding of how to build a strategy from the perspective of high-performing organizations
- A guided approach to developing the right strategy for your business to optimize every dollar sold for the highest return possible
- A clear 12-month plan to bring the team together to execute the right activities every week
- A picture of your current team’s sales skills and how to best use them across the board
- A visible dashboard for sales, so they can know the score and win the game
To register for Managing Sales with Purpose, email Yuliya Demish
The Boss’s Guide to HR*
Small businesses often do not have in-house human resources teams, but the truth is once you have more people than just yourself involved in this journey, you need to tackle HR issues.
Most small businesses we work with deal with HR on an as-needed basis and it sucks a lot of time and energy from owners or leaders tasked with figuring it out.
How does this impact you?
- An important contributor to the team puts in their two weeks’ notice and you scramble to find a replacement
- An interpersonal conflict arises, and you need to find a way to sort it out because the tension is felt by everyone
- A serious gap in performance is found and you need to have a conversation around expectations
- Members of your team are looking for growth opportunities and you are not sure how to set them on a course for development
The tools in this training session put those practices in place and provide you, the boss, with the knowledge to execute HR effectively for your people.
The Boss’s Guide to HR provides:
- A detailed HR plan that outlines the resources you need to execute on the business’ goals
- Competency profiles that serve as the foundation for recruitment and development processes
- A clear process for hiring your next candidate with an understanding of how to create effective job advertisements
- An onboarding process to set up for success for new hires
- A guided reflection and best practices for effective communication as a leader
To register for The Boss’s Guide to HR, email Yuliya Demish
Marketing that Matters*
For small businesses, marketing tends to be a mystery where money goes in, and unknown returns may or may not come out. It’s a space with a lot of jargon, where a lot of technical expertise is required to execute, and owners simply do not have the time to become marketers while they are tasked with running the business. For those that do have a dedicated marketing resource, they tend to be frustrated with not being able to see the return of their investment into marketing.
Marketing That Matters is for you because you recognize the importance of marketing, but you don’t want to throw money away into that black hole without understanding it a little better and setting yourself up for success.
Marketing that Matters provides:
- A detailed marketing plan that outlines the activities for the next 12 months to reach your business goals
- A process for developing campaigns that deliver on measurable objectives (no more money-sucking black holes!)
- A clear brand guideline that sets your internal, or external, resources up for success
- A holistic view of the customer journey and how your marketing efforts bring them down the funnel from not knowing who you are to a purchase
- A list of quick hits and a 90-day plan to get your marketing up and running
To register for Marketing that Matters, email Yuliya Demish
*All approved applicants for the Sympli Works On-Demand Courses are required to:
- Complete the confirmed Sympli Works On-Demand Course(s).
- Complete and submit the required templates provided by Sympli Works upon On-Demand Course completion.
- Participate in a one-hour debrief meeting with your respective Regional Business Development Advisor and/or Export Development Executive upon On-Demand Course completion.
- Complete and submit Invest Nova Scotia’s Engagement Survey upon On-Demand Course completion.
To register for one or more of the Webinars, click on the REGISTER links below.
- Scaling Your Value Part 3: Process Improvement
Monday, December 19, 2022 | 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. AST
- Marketing That Matters
Monday, January 23, 2023 | 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. AST
- Managing Sales with Purpose
Monday, February 13, 2023 | 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. AST
- The Boss’s Guide to HR
Monday, March 6, 2023 | 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. AST
On-Demand Course Instructor
Matt Symes, CEO and Founding Partner of Symplicity Designs
Scaling an organization is extremely difficult work. Most fail. Matt works tirelessly to help business owners make sense of the messy middle and grow their organizations.
He’s a serial entrepreneur, portfolio manager, and recovering academic who loves to help business owners succeed. Over the last 10 years, Matt has helped more than 400 organizations recover from some of their darkest moments and realize improvement and continuous innovation.
For Matt, the reality check is critical. His dedication lies in leading clients to shift the organizational paradigm. With Matt’s help, your business can:
- Develop sound strategies to navigate through uncertain times
- Align your organization to focus on those improvements that create the greatest value for you and your customer
- Increase employee engagement through leading change
Matt has a unique ability to bring clarity to chaos. He sees a path forward, then helps businesses focus on what they do best and finds even better ways to do it.
Internally at Symplicity Designs + Sympli Works, he is responsible for that same growth journey. Not only can he speak from having helped others grow their own business, but he can speak candidly about the trials and tribulations of growing nine small businesses along the way.
Matt completed his BA and BEd at the University of New Brunswick and his MA at Wilfrid Laurier University. He is currently on leave from his PhD studies as he works to grow Symplicity Designs + Sympli Works. He is thrilled to be able to work with clients to help them on their business journey.