Businesses of Diversity
A Business of Diversity is 51%+ owned, managed, and controlled by Aboriginal and/or Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, LGBT+, Veterans, Visible Minorities, or Women.*
Nova Scotia Businesses of Diversity are growing their revenues and forging new partnerships with the help of Invest Nova Scotia through participation in Supplier Diversity procurement programs.
What is Supplier Diversity?
Supplier Diversity is a strategic business case that provides Businesses of Diversity the equal opportunity to become suppliers to major corporations across Canada, the US and Europe. It is defined as reaching out to groups not traditionally included in the supply chain or within the purchasing process of corporations.
Why should I certify my business?
Becoming certified as a Business of Diversity allows you to:
- Gain market-access to corporate procurement opportunities and contracts
- Enhance your company’s competitiveness and build capacity
- Build a network with other diverse businesses and corporations
- Support business development within diverse communities
How do I certify my business?
To be certified as a Diverse Business Enterprise, the applicant must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be a for-profit enterprise
- Operate in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen / permanent resident
- Be able to operate as a supplier of products or services
- Be 51%+ owned, managed and controlled by member(s) of the identified diverse group.
Canadian certifying councils include Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC), Canadian Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CGLC), WBE Canada, WeConnect International in Canada and Workplace & Supply Council of Canada (IWSCC). Along with certification, these organizations provide valuable educational programs and networking opportunities for their members, as well as, forums for their corporate members to share best supplier diversity practices.
How can Invest Nova Scotia help?
Whether you are new to exporting, expanding to new markets, or looking to grow your diverse export business, Invest Nova Scotia can help. Our team of experts have sector and market know-how, and can help you gain access to:
- Guidance on Diverse Business Enterprise certification
- Trade Mission trips for Businesses of Diversity to access new markets
- Information and Access to Government Programs and Services
- Export Education and Training Sessions
- Trade Market Research and Intelligence
Businesses owned by women and minorities are vital to Canada’s economic prosperity. Diverse, well-developed supply chains can help companies reduce costs, enhance innovation, successfully integrate acquired businesses, and reach new markets.
— Whitfield & Farrell
*The definitions of Businesses of Diversity are based on the eligibility requirements for certification within Canada’s five national certifying organizations; Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC), Canadian Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CGLC), Inclusive Workplace & Supply Council of Canada (IWSCC), WBE Canada, and WeConnect International in Canada.