• 1 800 260 6682
  • GTranslate

Other ways to reach us: 1.800.260.6682 | 902.424.8670 | info@investnovascotia.ca

NSBI Top Articles and Stories of 2016

Top Articles and Stories of 2016

Friday, December 30, 2016

In 2016, we connected with businesses across the province. Through our programs and services we worked with local businesses to discover new opportunities, develop partnerships, and expand their growth.

As 2016 comes to an end, we have decided to look back on the most-read articles and stories from the Nova Scotia Business Inc. website. We look forward to sharing more stories about interesting people and Nova Scotia opportunities throughout 2017.

Spotlight on Pure 

Pure tells the story of Noah Funk, a newly-elected Mennonite pastor who’s determined to rid his community of unrelenting illegal activity. The series will tell the story of Noah’s trials and tribulations as he does everything he can to turn the community around.

Tony’s Meats: Introducing Mr. Donair to the world

Based in Antigonish, the company began in 1963 as a small, local operation. Today it employs about 50 people, selling retail or food-services products in every province of Canada.

In 2005, the company acquired the Mr. Donair brand. The original Mr. Donair created the first donair in Halifax in 1971, and now it’s Halifax’s official food and a Nova Scotia specialty that’s gaining popularity beyond Atlantic Canada.

Feature on Eel Lake Oyster Farm Ltd.

Eel Lake Oyster Farm is a major producer of the intensely flavoured Atlantic Oyster, with three million oysters growing in the oyster farm at any one time. The company exports 90% of its product to Ontario, Quebec and now New England, with the remaining 10% going mainly to restaurants in Halifax.

Nova Scotia mines a rich future

Nova Scotia has over 300 years of world-class mining experience, supplying more than 20 different mineral products to domestic users and export markets around the world and it remains an important component of the provincial economy.

Spotlight on Mr. D

Mr. D is an award-winning sitcom television series filmed in Halifax, Nova Scotia, starring famed comedian Gerry Dee. The show aired its first season on CBC in 2012 and has been a fan favourite ever since.

Nature’s Way chooses Nova Scotia for national headquarters

Nature’s Way Canada creates, markets, and distributes premium natural health products around the world. The company has three locations in Canada: Vancouver, Toronto, and Halifax where its national head office is located.

Spotlight on Heartsy Studios

In the world of game design, Vancouver’s loss has been Nova Scotia’s gain. Meet Stephen MacDonald, CEO of Heartsy Studios, which makes video games for children and families. Before moving to Guysborough and starting Heartsy, Stephen was an executive producer at Relic Entertainment in Vancouver. And before that, he was head of production for the Canadian branch of Walt Disney studios in Kelowna, BC, running Club Penguin, an MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) game for young children.

Eleanor Beaton: Empowering women worldwide

All over the world, women executives and entrepreneurs are learning how to position themselves as leaders and experts in their fields. Eleanor Beaton of Windsor, Nova Scotia, is helping them develop their influencing skills so they can attract more clients, grow their businesses, and advance their careers.

Spotlight on Web.com Canada, Inc.

WEB.com, a leading provider of Internet services and online marketing solutions for small businesses with a longstanding history in Nova Scotia, has announced it will open a new operations centre in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia.

Cape Breton Fudge Co.: Hitting the sweet spot 

Were this year’s Golden Globes a little sweeter than usual? Cape Breton Fudge Company, from Sydney, Nova Scotia, was one of a select group invited to share their wares with Hollywood VIPs and celebrities in the Golden Globe Gift Suites in early January.