Nova Scotia is home to the largest formation of the Canadian Navy.
Canada’s next fleet of combat vessels are being constructed in Halifax, Nova Scotia, by Irving Shipbuilding in the largest under-cover shipbuilding facility in North America. The $70 billion contract is the largest single defence procurement in Canadian history. It’s no wonder it was awarded here — we have the technical expertise, cooperative industry, and workforce needed to deliver. Attracted by our strategic location, concentration of defence activities, and access to cost competitive talent, Nova Scotia has a dynamic cluster of defence and security companies delivering innovative solutions to global markets.
7 of Canada’s top 10 defence companies call Nova Scotia home
We have world-leading companies and technologies in sonar and sensing, in-service support, cybersecurity and training and simulation.
- Canada’s largest naval base is Canadian Forces Base Halifax (CFB Halifax). This base is home to Canada’s Atlantic Fleet
- Highest concentration of military assets in Canada are based in Nova Scotia
- Canada's next generation of combat vessels are being built in Nova Scotia
- Deliberate and coordinated provincial interest in military affairs, making Nova Scotia a best practices leader in DND-friendly policy
- Strong industry support through the Atlantic Canada Aerospace & Defence Association (ACADA), the Ocean Technology Council (OTCNS) and its Unmanned Systems Committee, bridging the gap between industry, government and academia
A global naval defence hub
With more than 7000 miles of coastline, 7 out of 10 of the country’s top defence companies call Nova Scotia home. We have the largest formation of the Canadian Navy, the highest concentration of military assets, and a workforce of more than 12,400+ people working in the sector.
The Nova Scotia Business Advantage
In just one day we can connect you to everyone you need to meet to choose Nova Scotia as the next location for your business. We secure meetings with senior industry leaders, government, academia and key players in the ecosystem while curating a visit that perfectly suits your business needs.
Nova Scotia has substantial capacity in research and development and works closely with industry organizations within the ecosystem.
Nova Scotia offers cost competitive opportunities throughout your value chain, from research and development, to exporting finished goods around the world.
Due to the presence of several military bases across the province, there are untapped labour pools in Nova Scotia that include significant numbers of experienced Canadian Forces personnel with a high level of defence knowledge.
If you're looking for the right location to reach the world, you'll find it here. Our Atlantic timezone is +4 hours ahead of the Pacific coast and -4 hours from London, meaning work days easily overlap with key markets..
Given the high level of Department of National Defence (DND) presence and activity in Nova Scotia, the province has established a world-class capability for In-Service Support (ISS).