Business Development Advisor (Permanent)
Invest Nova Scotia is Nova Scotia’s business development agency that works to promote economic growth and community economic development in the province by enabling business, innovation, sustainability and entrepreneurship. We are Nova Scotians supporting businesses small and large; new and new to our province.
Job Opportunity: Business Development Advisor (Permanent)
Invest Nova Scotia is currently seeking an exceptional individual to fill the position of Business Development Advisor, based in Halifax, NS. As a key member of the business advisory team, the incumbent will use a consultative approach to generate business growth for our domestic clients.
Reporting to the Director, Regional Business Development, the Business Development Advisor (BDA) provides a variety of business support to both new and established Nova Scotia companies, assessing growth potential and supporting business needs for realizing this potential. This role works closely with principals of companies analyzing business plans and associated financials, providing advisement on investment readiness, and assisting with customizing growth and export opportunities through available partnerships and resources. The BDA is also responsible to establish and maintain relationships with partners, universities, and government that participate in export and economic growth discussions to ensure they are up to date with relevant program and industry information.
The Business Development Advisor is responsible for:
- Working with clients from start-to-finish, aligning client needs to available programs and funding sources.
- Proactively engaging and advising companies about funding products and business programs available to assist their business stability and/or growth.
- Counselling and guiding clients through complex business processes.
- Reviewing and providing advice to clients on business plans, management, finance, marketing, innovation, production export, and investment readiness.
- Providing creative solutions and identifying opportunities for growth strategies, job creation/retention, accessing new capital, reaching new markets, governance, and regulatory obligations.
- Developing ‘outside the box’ strategic initiatives for clients and assuming a leadership role in bringing stakeholders together who can ultimately assist client companies.
- Actively engaging with companies’ senior management to find customized growth opportunities and/or solutions to problems which may be limiting or hindering a company’s growth potential.
- Participating in discussion with business organizations and local area groups as well as engaging with economic development groups or organizations in the region to identify common goals and to capitalize on shared objectives.
- Developing and determining work plans that prioritize work in alignment with client goals and Invest Nova Scotia business goals for success.
- Continuously evolving a repository of business contacts and actively engaging partners, stakeholders or other professionals who are available to assist clients.
- Participating, leading, and managing various working groups for projects.
As the successful candidate, you possess a post-secondary education in a business-related field and have at least five years’ experience within a business advisory role. You maintain a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle for business travel purposes, both of which are a condition of employment.
You are a strong communicator and excel at building and maintaining excellent working relationships with a multitude of stakeholders both internal and external to Invest Nova Scotia. You pride yourself on being a client-focused professional with impeccable business acumen and can counsel clients on a wide variety of business issues. Your successful track record generating solutions is garnered by analyzing the situation and identifying key opportunities for improvement. Knowledgeable on current financial trends and how it relates to business in Nova Scotia, you can proactively take initiative and remain flexible to client needs while delivering on Invest Nova Scotia’s mandate. This role requires the ability to work additional hours periodically on evenings and weekends as necessary.
Classification: This is a bargaining unit position with an Invest Nova Scotia 7 annual rate of pay of $78,808.34 - $94,410.42. Preference will be given to qualified Invest Nova Scotia NSGEU bargaining unit candidates.
Invest Nova Scotia’s professional team is as innovative and energetic as the clients we serve. If you have what it takes to join our team, we would like to hear from you. To learn more about us, please visit our web site at investnovascotia.ca.
Invest Nova Scotia is committed to embracing diversity and fostering a workplace that is reflective of the multicultural and global community in which we operate. We welcome applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities and persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community. If you are a member of one of the groups who reflect the diversity of Canadian society, you are encouraged to self-identify on either your cover letter or resume.